The features of P 211 are critical for applications that depend upon measuring the variations of neutron populations following the source burst. The P 211 neutron tube was originally designed by Sandia National Laboratories and incorporates the Sandia-designed “Zetatron” neutron tube.
- Neutron die-away measurements
- Pulses both accelerating voltage and ion source
- No background between pulses
- Analysis methods: Neutron die-away
- Generator characteristics: Pulsed output (no background between pulses)
- Primary elements detected: U, Pu
- Transuranic waste assay
- Fissionable materials
Thermo is now the only manufacturer of the Zetatron neutron tube. Thermo supplies P 211 neutron generators as well as Zetatron neutron tubes to Sandia and other government and private users.