The performance of the PDM3600 has been evaluated by NIOSH in laboratory and underground mine tests. The results indicate that the automated PDM3600 is equal to or better than the current manual dust collection and analysis method used since 1972. The PDM3600 shift-based data is available immediately after the conclusion of a miner's working hours, and shorter term dust exposure data is available continuously.
- Bright, low power consuming LED primary work light with dual low power secondary LED lights
- Waterproof cap lamp battery protection
- Mine-proven power take-off connector
- PC-based software for data downloading and review of status flags
- Integral charger with download station of PC interface
- The PDM3600 replaces the miner's cap lamp, sample pump and filter holder with a single belt-worn unit.
- It starts by drawing a continuous sample of air from a miner's breathing zone, it then removes the particles that are larger than respirable in size, and measures the mass of the dust collected on an exchangeable filter.
- Dust exposure information computed by the monitor is stored internally and is updated every five seconds on the display.
- Resulting in immediate and accurate end-of-shift dust exposure levels that are equivalent to filter-based models.
- Battery Operated
The PDM3600 provides three primary, real-time and two secondary, user-initated measurements
Screen Display Real-time Primary Measurements
- 30 MIN CONC = Primary current mass concentration (mg/m3) Represents the latest 30-minute running average of dust exposure
- CUM1 = Primary cumulative mass concentration (mg/m3) Equals the total dust loading since the beginning of the working shift
- PERCNT OF LIMIT= Indicates percent of exposure limit for primarysample run
Screen Display Secondary User-initiated Measurements
- 15 MIN CONC = Secondary current concentration (mg/m3) Represents the last 15-minute running average of dust exposure since user-intiated activiation
- CUM2 = Secondary mass concentration (mg/m3) Represents the dust loading since user initated activiation
- Cap lamp with secondary LED light source and sample inlet
- Umbilical line containing conductive tubing for sample transport and electrical connections
- PDM3600 case containing batteries and sample handling system
- Charging/communication module
- PC-based software for data management
- Available, optional high-impact carrying case
Compliance: The PDM3600 is approved for use in the United States only, and meets MSHA intrinsic safety approval for use in underground mines (certified for coal mine dust sample collection) and NIOSH guidelines for Air Sampling and Analytical Method Development and Evaluation.
The PDM3600 is for use in the United States and complies with the following requirements:
- NIOSH approval number TC-74CPDM-01
- Certified intrinsically safe by the Mine Safety Health Administration (MSHA) (19-A040002-0)
- FCC Part 15 subpart B
- UN T1-T8 (shipment of lithium ion batteries)
Recommended for: The PDM3600 was designed under contract with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (Pittsburgh Research Laboratory) to arm miners and mine operators with the information to protect personnel from elevated dust concentrations. The development project was the result of a unique partnership involving government, worker representatives and industry, including NIOSH, the Mine Safety and Health Administration, United Mine Workers of America, National Mining Association, Bituminous Coal Operator's Association and Thermo Fisher Scientific.