Sera-Mag combines the advantages of high surface area, high affinity and high specific activity. These particles are colloidally stable in the absence of a magnetic field; however, the particles can be separated rapidly and completely from suspension when a magnetic field is applied. These particles can be used for a variety of applications, including improvement and simplification of ligand binding, molecular biology applications and affinity purifications.
- Sensitive and stable
- Good physical integrity
- High binding capacity
- High surface area per unit mass
- Stable in most buffer systems
- Binding of biotinylated ligands to streptavidin groups on the surface is easily accomplished using standard avidin-biotin technology
- In the past, achieving high activity and stable binding of solid phase ligands has been a major difficulty
- Compounds which are difficult to attach to microparticle surfaces by conventional means may be amenable to biotinylation
- Due to the high affinity of the avidin-biotin reaction, binding biotinylated compounds to Sera-Mag Magnetic Streptavidin may improve specific activity
- In such cases, biotinylation may be carried out in either aqueous or organic solvent; then the biotin derivative can be bound to Sera-Mag simply by mixing in appropriate buffer conditions
- Nucleic acids which adsorb poorly to particle surfaces are readily bound to Sera-Mag Magnetic Streptavidin particles after biotinylation
- The use of magnetic microparticles as a solid phase support in immunoassays and molecular biology applications has been well documented
- Standard protocols are available to biotinylate a wide range of ligands including proteins, nucleic acids, haptens and peptides
Storage Conditions: Store at 2° to 8°C.
Recommended for: Nucleic acid isolation, genomics, clinical diagnostics, molecular biology, mRNA Seperation, research